Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Julia doth teach me...

Yesterday I finally drove to the next town and bought Mastering the Art of French Cooking. I sat down and read the Introduction to the Anniversary Edition, the Foreword to the 1983 edition, the Foreword, Acknowledgements, the Table of Contents; you know all the stuff typically you'd skip when eager to get into the book. There was a wealth of information in just those areas, and allowed me to get a feel for how Julia thought and performed at life. Once I was done with that, I went into the basics such as her minutely detailed descriptions and explanations of kitchen equipment, measurements, temperatures, conversions, proper cutting techniques, and even wine selection. Holy cooking bible batman!!

After I read all the basics, I read through a lot of the recipes, step by step. I can't wait to pick one and cook it! I'm carefully combing through and finding out which would be the best one to start with, and also considering my family's tastes. I know my husband will try whatever I decide to concoct, as will my 2 year old. My 6 and 4 year olds however, are a picky bunch to please. I'm hoping this newfound cooking knowledge will help to expand their limited palates and encourage them to try new things!

So what first? Do I attempt the famed "Boeuf Bourguignon" or my husband's request of a Tart?

After some careful consideration, I think I'm going to make "Potage Parmentier" because it's cold out, it looks easy to start with and I have the ingredients.

Happy cooking! (And reading!)

No comments:

Post a Comment